vehicle insurance:Statistics show that the majority of these vehicles – around 60 to 70% – are uninsured. The Automobile Association says this means that to keep you on the road, insurance is not a luxury, but a necessity.
Statistics from the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) indicate that there are more than 800 000 crashes in South Africa annually. Based on the insurance statistics, this equates to around 520 000 cars involved in crashes and which are uninsured.
And those motorists who are opting to have insurance are often choosing insurance based on the lowest available premiums, rather than understanding the benefits and disadvantages of the insurance they are considering buying.
Too often, low premiums sound good but fall short when claims are made, the AA warns.
A good example is the excess fee which may be payable when a claim is made. An excess is a fee you pay towards a claim for loss or damage to your car, regardless of who is to blame. A company offering a low monthly premium, for instance, may require a substantial excess in the case of loss or damage.
The Association says motorists who want to insure their vehicles must understand the terminology of their contracts and ask for clarification of any unclear clauses before committing to a specific insurance policy.
Critical questions to ask when considering vehicle insurance are:
- What is my excess? Is there a different excess for loss and for damage?
- Is the excess a flat rate, or is it calculated as a percentage of the loss or damage?
- Besides the initial excess fee, are there any additional excess fees payable when I make a claim?
- Are there any penalties for claiming within the first six months, or in the first year? (If there are, determine exactly what these penalties are.)
- What is the turnaround time for claims?
- Will I be covered if other people drive my car? (And, if you are covered, is there a difference in the coverage if the car was driven by an 18-year-old driver or a 45-year-old driver?)
- Is my car covered for resale or full retail value?
- Is this insurance comprehensive insurance?
- Are there any limitations on where or when I can drive my car?
- If something happens to my car, is car hire included in my cover while it is being repaired or replaced?
* Sign up to Fin24’s top news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO FIN24 NEWSLETTER