I received a traumatic brain injury in a car accident in Missouri. How will I pay my medical bills?

I received a traumatic brain injury in a car accident in Missouri. How will I pay my medical bills?

Brain injuries and other serious injuries, such as spinal cord injuries, require the assistance of an attorney. Those who have suffered a catastrophic injury need a lawyer not only to seek compensation from the person or entity who caused the injury but also to help you with things like handling your medical bills and other expenses.

Who Pays Medical Bills Before Your Settlement Comes In?

With serious injuries such as a traumatic brain injury, you are likely to incur significant medical bills throughout the course of your treatment. Depending on the type of case you have, there are a few ways that you can cover costs before your case is complete.

Your own health insurance company should pay for your medical bills initially. If you were injured on another person’s property or while driving your car, there may be optional Medical Payments coverage available.  Med-Pay coverage can be a life-saver after a serious automobile accident to pay for expenses. Coverage amounts often range from $1,000 to $25,000. This helps pay co-pays and deductibles left after your health insurer pays the medical bills.

If you don’t have health insurance, a lawyer can counsel you regarding public health care benefits such as Medicare and Medicaid or, in cases where you are no longer able to make day-to-day decisions, may recommend that a guardianship or conservatorship be set up to protect your interests.  Either way, they will work with you to keep creditors at bay and assist you along the road to recovery.

Who Will Be Responsible?

In any type of accident, a good lawyer will look at every entity that could be possibly liable for your injuries. This can mean the negligent driver, a bar or restaurant who over-served alcohol, a property owner, an auto manufacturer or even your own uninsured and underinsured coverage. It is important to choose an experienced attorney who knows every avenue of potential recovery for your specific case.

Finding the Right Lawyer for Me

Having a lawyer who is specially trained or experienced in your type of injury, whether it’s a traumatic brain injury, spinal injury or other catastrophic injury, can help you navigate the tricky legal waters of your case. Your attorney should be a trusted, caring partner who bears the strain of dealing with the insurance companies, helping you find the best medical care and treatment, and directing you along the way through your case so that you can focus on your family and trying to heal.